- How did you decide on the name for your business?
I knew I wanted something spiritual and magical that sounded classy and not too feminine or girly. I am fascinated with all things celestial and the magic of the universe. Seraphic means something that resembles an angel and I love all things to do with our moon.
- Has your business changed since you first imagined?
No, the business is just the way I had dreamt it would be.
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?
My biggest challenge has been lack of time. I get frustrated with juggling working full time and the running a family home whilst trying to grow the business. When things become too much and there is too much going on at once I take a step back and breathe. I always get there in the end!
- Tell us what a normal day looks like for you?
I like to go for a walk first thing before I start work to get some fresh air and clear my head. I love listening to Audio books, usually something inspirational but I also enjoy listening to autobiographies. I work full-time in the Oil and Gas Industry, and the evening is when I work on the business, I leave the creating of candles to a weekend which I find relaxing and enjoyable.
- Which of your products do you enjoy creating the most?
I love making candles, I find it very relaxing and therapeutic, there is nothing more satisfying than seeing the candles setting. I also enjoy making tea light candles, these are a bit more fiddly and time consuming but I love them. My customers appreciate the freebies that they get with their orders.
- Who would you most like to meet in business?
I love meeting everyone, especially new customers. One of my favourite parts of the job is attending fairs where you get to meet new people.
- What advice do you have for a younger self?
Don’t worry about what other people think – follow your dreams and don’t be afraid. You don’t know what is out there if you don’t try. Live life, don’t just exist. Don’t compare yourself to others and always go with your gut feeling. Never give up.
- Has building a candle business been easier or harder than you thought?
Easier – I have at last found something that I am passionate about so the time I spend building the business does not feel like work. It has taken longer than I thought, I didn’t realise how much there is to think about. I didn’t want to rush the process and the result is that I have created something that I am passionate and very proud of.
- How many hours a day do you spend on your business?
Usually 2 hours a day through the week and as much as I can at the weekends.
- What inspired you to start a business?
My children are getting older and my husband has many hobbies, I wanted to do something that was about me – I needed something else rather than being a mum to two teenagers and a wife. I have never spent time doing something just for me and the time felt right.
- What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own candle business?
Don’t give up – there will be times when you wonder if it is all worth it. Keep going, there will be many highs and lows but enjoy every part of the journey. Don’t worry about making mistakes, it is the best way to learn.
- What is your current favourite scent?
I love them all at different times, it all depends on my mood and the time of year. I
must say that Stellify which is Seasalt & Woodsage is one of my favourites as it is the first name/scent I started with. This set up the basis of the brand.
- Do you enjoy all aspects of running your own business?
Yes! I love how many different parts there are, you will never get bored that’s for sure. I am enjoying learning something new every day.
- How do you take time out for yourself?
I walk loads while listening to Audio books and go to Pilates once a week. I also love socialising with family and friends – they are a lovely bunch and all love a party. We always find a reason to celebrate.
- 5 words to describe your business?
Magical, Spiritual, Passion, Quality & Growth.
- How long did it take from starting your Build a candle business course and selling your first candle?
I started the Build a Candle Business in January 2021 and sold my first candle in March 2022. My journey took longer than I thought but I am delighted with the results.
- Did you have any candle experience before starting?