1.How did you decide on the name Soboan Candles for your business?
I used two letters from my husband’s name, my name and our cat’s name.
2. Has your business changed since you first imagined?
No its exactly as I visualized it.
3. What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?
My biggest challenge was and still is social media. I try to learn something everyday about how to use and apply it.
4. Tell us what a normal day looks like for you?
As my store is so new, I’m still trying to work out my daily routine.
7am-9am social media training and posts
9.30am-12.30pm reading and listening to training material, admin.
Weekends: making and testing products
5. Which of your products do you enjoy creating the most?
I love making scented candles, I love the fragrances as they are so uplifting.
6. Who would you most like to meet in business?
I’ve always admired Richard Branson and Jacqueline Gold.
7. What advice do you have for a younger self?
Step outside of your comfort zone, feel the pain and do it anyway.
8. Has building a candle business been easier or harder than you thought?
The hardest part for me has been building a social media presence as I didn’t really use it before and it takes a lot to get to grips with it.
9. How many hours a day do you spend on your business?
Social media takes a lot of my time because I’m still learning but I envisage that will get easier. At the moment its about 4-5 hours a day.
10. What inspired you to start a business?
I had to take early retirement from my 9-5 job on health grounds and I didn’t feel ready to retire and I knew no one would employ me because of my mobility issues so I thought I’d turn a hobby into a business.
11. What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own candle business?
The road isn’t always easy so be prepared for some bumpy times ahead. Planning is essential.
12. What is your current favourite scent?
I have so many of them but I think I would choose an essential oil, Neroli.
13. Do you enjoy all aspects of running your own business?
Yes I enjoy all of it even the steep learning curves.
14. How do you take time out for yourself?
I love reading self-help books.
15. 5 words to describe your business?
Handcrafted creations, ecofriendly, innovative, authentic, adaptable
16. How long did it take from starting your Build a candle business course and
selling your first candle?
I think it took about 4 months.
17. Did you have any candle experience before starting?
I already knew how to make candles, I’d tested so many different waxes, wicks and fragrances. When I joined the course, I already had my candle collection ready but what I didn’t have was the confidence to launch a website to sell my candles. The course gave me that confidence.
You can visit Christines new store here – www.soboancandles.co.uk