Introducing the gorgeous Mason & Fig who has come through Ignite Your Creativity – Build your Own candle business run by the lovely Moira Redmond.
- How old is your business?
I’ve been making my own candles for about 5 years. I first made them to help out with raising funds at a school faire 6 ½ years ago and just loved it. I’ve only really been selling them for about 3 years.
- How has your business changed since you first started out?
I loved doing stalls at Christmas craft fairs but these haven’t been running for some time now! My plan was really to run workshops which is something I really loved attending. I love meeting people and did lots of travelling in my previous career before having children. However, so far I have only managed to do workshops in a primary school for their masterclass programme before Covid hit!
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced and overcome?
Having gone back to work full time, time constraints are definitely my biggest challenge. I have so many ideas and things I’d love to try but just don’t have the time right now. So choosing one thing that I have time to focus on at the moment is my biggest challenge! I’m still working on that as I’m definitely a dreamer!
- What does a normal day look like for you?
When I was part time, a normal day would start with a run about 7am, followed by the school run and down to pouring! Then I would finish off looking for new scents, printing labels or placing stock orders and weekends delivering orders! Now my Saturdays and Sundays are a combination of this!
- Which of you products do you enjoy creating the most?
Definitely pouring candles! So calming and makes the whole place smell delicious!
- Who would you most like to meet in business?
Bill Gates!! From a candle perspective I think it would have to be Jo Malone! A truly inspiring story for candle makers!
- Is there a shop you would most like to see your candles in?
I don’t think there is any one department store I would love to be in! I’d love to be in lots of beautiful independent, environmentally conscious stores scattered in interesting places all over! Or my own home interior and gin store!
- Has building your own candle business been easier or harder than you thought?
I’m not sure I have achieved that yet but I definitely didn’t think building any business would easy!
- How many hours a day do you spend on your business?
I’ve no idea! Weekends and holidays can be long days when I have more time to make candles!
- What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own candle business?
Sign up to Jo’s course!
- What is your current favourite scent?
My favourite definitely varies with the seasons and as I discover new scents. I associate scents with places and people too. I think my favourite at the moment is Bergamot and Ginger.
- Which part of running your own business do you like the most?
I love creating something beautiful!
- What is your Ethos?
To be caring to the environment, open to opportunities and to love what I’m doing!
- Name 5 words to describe your business.
Sustainable – Small – Inviting – Relaxed & Beautiful (I hope)!