Meet our latest Ignite Your Creativity member of the month, Irene who is the founder of Ailsa Graeme Home Fragrance.
1.How old is your business now?
My business is only a few months old now. Started off making candles for myself and enrolled in Jo’s beginners class. Loved it and moved onto advanced course then took the plunge into Ignite tribe.
2. Has your business changed in any way since you first started out?
I guess it has as I now have a website and selling my candles, melts and diffusers.
3. What is the biggest challenge you have faced? How did you overcome it?
Biggest challenge was getting over my fear of what if products not good enough or candles did not burn well enough. Just felt I could not put myself out there. Encouragement from Jo and other members of Jo’s team helped immensely.
4. Tell us what a normal day looks like for you?
I work full time with my local council. I manage a cluster of out of school clubs and staff of 15 approx. Start day around 7.30 and don’t finish until 6pm. Then its dinner etc . I try to catch up on orders or paperwork etc.
5. Which of your products do you like creating the most?
I like my candles but also wax melts. House always smells amazing when making.
6. Who would you most like to meet in business?
Chrissie Rucker founder of the White Company. I love the White company and their products are amazing.
7. Is there a shop you would most like to see your products in?
Local independent shops/boutiques.
8. Has building a candle business been easier or harder than you thought?
Would love to say easier, but oh my goodness so much harder. Wicks, wax ,etc. Supplies and the shortage.
9. How many hours a day do you spend on your business?
Not as much as I would like due to my full time job. Weekends are typically spent making candles.
10. Did you invest a lot in equipment at the start of the business or use what you already had?
I have spent a huge amount , hopefully starting to pay off now I am up and running.
11. What one piece of advice would you give to someone wanting to start their own candle business?
If at first you don’t succeed try try again and also join Jo’s courses.
12. What is your current favourite scent?
I have two at the moment . Rock Salt and Driftwood along with Coconut &Lime. Christmas scents are a different ball game.
13. Which part of running your own business do you like the most?
I am in control and can go at my own pace without having a manager telling me what to do and when.
14. What is your ethos?
Work hard and don’t give up. You can do it.
15. Name 5 words to describe your business?
Eco Friendly. Small, Luxury. Creative, Personal